Marcus Sheridan – Proust Questionnaire
Marcus Sheridan started a swimming pool company, River Pools and Spas, in 2001. The pool company grew to be one of the largest of its kind in the world (due to inbound marketing efforts and its incredibly popular swimming pool blog). Because of his success teaching other pool professionals how to embrace inbound marketing, the father of four became a full-time web coach for businesses, specializing in Hubspot, in 2010. His blog, The Sales Lion, is “one of the best dang marketing, business, and life-success blogs on the internet.”
1. What is your most marked characteristic? Boundless energy, especially when I’m speaking. I guess this ties in to the fact that I just love communicating, love helping break down complex ideas into ways anyone can understand them.
2. What is the quality you most like in a man? I appreciate guys that aren’t conceited, that know how to converse, and listen, despite whatever success they’ve attained. And a sense of humor seriously helps too. ;-)
3. What is the quality you most like in a woman? Decisiveness. The ability to make a decision quickly and then run with it. I also appreciate a lady that isn’t afraid to joke around with others and laugh a little.
4. What do you most value in your friends? I think a great friend simply has a presence of support. They don’t necessarily need to say or do anything, but they’re able to portray a sense of strength, support, faith, and loyalty.
5. What is the trait you most deplore in yourself? I tend to procrastinate at times. It’s a quality I’m always working on though. And a little more organization….yeah, that’d be a good thing too!!
6. What is your idea of perfect happiness? Spending time at the River with my wife and 4 kids. Crabbing on the dock, riding around on the little john-boat and laughing away, watching my youngest play in the sand, and feeling that breeze come off the sea.
7. What do you regard as the lowest depth of misery? Knowing you’ve completely failed to reach your own potential.
8. Who are your favorite writers? Victor Hugo, far and away, is my favorite. I’m love me some Jane Austen as well. She’s magical :-)
9. What is your current state of mind? Always looking forward, thinking big, believing big, and pushing myself. I literally can’t just ‘sit around’. Unless I’m working out, I don’t watch TV. My mind wants to create, all the time, which is where speaking, writing, and entrepreneurship come to the rescue. :)
10. What is your motto? Hmmm, never thought about this one. Probably: Work hard, play hard, pray hard…and believe
11. What is your greatest fear? Failing my family in some way. Looking back at some point and knowing I didn’t reach the abilities and potential I was given to help others.
12. What is your greatest extravagance? Well, I own a swimming pool company and we’ve sold lots of stuff over the years, and so I have some of everything— Inground pool, kiddie pool, hot tub, Sauna, pool table, fooseball, etc. I love having fun at home, and I’ve tried to create our home as a place the children will want to bring their friends.
13. On what occasion do you lie? If a lady asks me anything about the taste of food or the appearance of a dress. :-)
14. What do you dislike most about your appearance? My forehead keeps getting taller!!! ;-)
15. Which words or phrases do you most overuse? I use lots of goofy words— freaky, awesomeness, rockin, dang, nut case, goof ball, etc….to name a few ;-)